Note: This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Date: February 21, 2022
Episode: WeNomad Episode 4
Title: Dan Slavin on Running An 8-Figure Crypto Fund, Digital Nomading & Finding Your Ideal City
If you’re looking to create a life of freedom and fulfillment, make sure to listen to this episode of the WeNomad podcast.
Table of Contents
About Dan Slavin
Dan Slavin is an entrepreneur and investor who founded Chainview Capital, a cryptocurrency-focused hedge fund, in 2018.
In This Episode
Dan and I talk about his entrepreneurial journey, how he got into investing, and his thoughts on the crypto market. Dan also gives some advice for people who are looking to get into the space.
1. Finding Your Favorite Places As A Digital Nomad
Timestamp: 2:51 to 6:57
- Being in a place where you know people is easier than being in a place where you don’t.
- There’s something about the feel of a city that can tell you pretty quickly if you’re going to like it or not. And you’ll never really know until you show up there. So, if you’re thinking about moving to a new place, don’t book too much in advance. You may end up not liking it there as much as you thought you would.
- You’ll enjoy living in a place if you’re able to do what you love. For Dan, it’s being able to drive around to get out of the four walls of his house or apartment every once in a while.
- When you’re trying new things, don’t be afraid to fail. You might not like every place you go, but it’s all part of the experience.
2. Crypto 101: Bitcoin vs. Web3 & Building Your Portfolio
Timestamp: 12:39 to 22:45
- Bitcoin isn’t as complicated as it might seem and can be understood at a high level. Think of it as the Amazon of cryptos. It’s the market leader and has the highest movement relative to other cryptocurrencies.
- Dan recommends investing in Bitcoin as a long-term strategy and suggests trading other coins for short-term gains.
- If you want to go deeper, get involved in crypto Twitter and read books like The Bitcoin Standard and Bitcoin Billionaires to gain a better understanding of the technology.
3. Scottsdale, Arizona for Digital Nomads
Timestamp: 25:28 to 31:29
- Housing in Scottsdale, Arizona is significantly cheaper than in other major US cities like New York and San Francisco, but food and drink prices are pretty much the same.
- It’s easy to meet people in Scottsdale, as the city has a single central area where most people congregate.
- Areas of Scottsdale can vary in terms of safety and desirability, so do your research before moving there.
- Checking out an area on Google Street View can be a great way to get a feel for what it’s like before you move there.
Resources & Notable Mentions:
- Dan Slavin’s LinkedIn
- Chainview Capital
- CoinDesk: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Crypto News, and Price Data
- The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
- Bitcoin Billionaires