Note: This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on a link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Date: March 14, 2022
Episode: WeNomad Episode 7
Title: Louise Sylvester on Digital Nomading, Freelancing, & Living Life Your Way
If you’re looking to create a life of freedom and fulfillment, make sure to listen to this episode of the WeNomad podcast.
Table of Contents
About Louise Sylvester
Louise Sylvester is a digital marketer specializing in technical SEO and paid search and is currently based in Canggu, Bali. A lover of travel and adventure, Louise first came to Bali as part of an internship at a diving center, where she met other divers and ended up living with them and working together.
You can connect with Louise on Instagram at @hullabalou_.
In This Episode…
Louise and I talk about her experiences as a digital nomad and freelancer. We discuss how her upbringing as a Catholic has shaped her views on freedom and independence, and Louise shares how she went from living a traditional life to one of adventure and self-discovery.
We also talk about the importance of following your path in life, regardless of what others may think or expect.
- Louise’s father’s passing was a major event that led her to embark on a journey of digital nomadism. Instead of using the inheritance that her mom gave her to buy a flat in Manchester, she took a chance and traveled around Southeast Asia. Now, four years later, she’s happy with her decision to prioritize her happiness.
- Networking is invaluable if you want to start freelancing, and there are many ways to get involved in SEO and marketing. Staying up-to-date on industry news and using data to inform your decisions is key to success in this field. If you’re based in the UK, attending brightonSEO is a great way to learn more and network with others in the industry.
- When you network, make sure to get to know people’s lives outside of what they do for work. This will give you a more well-rounded view of them as a person, and it can help you find common interests.
- It can be tough when you break expectations that your family has for you – especially if those expectations are based on who they think you are, rather than who you actually are. In the long run, it’s important to do what makes you happy and follow your own path in life, even if it means disappointing your loved ones in the short term.
- Canggu, Bali is a massive hub for digital nomads, with tons of places to go out and lots happening. To find housing, it’s best to look for places on Booking, Airbnb, or Facebook groups, and then go and visit places in person and pay in cash. It’s also important to ask for recommendations from connections if possible. Pictures aren’t always representative of reality, so it’s crucial to see places in person before booking.
Resources & Notable Mentions:
- Follow Lou on Instagram: @hullabalou_
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
- Search Engine Land